May 20, 2009

Glee

After I saw the previews for Glee I was intrigued. The kind of humor I came to expect from 30 Rock looked like it oozed out of Glee. Some, bottom of the barrel, high school students are in a singing club called Glee and have to over come their loser selves. That's all I gathered from the preview. I was very attracted, in many ways, to the cast. I thought Jessalyn Gilsig was very good in Nip/Tuck and was looking forward to watching her post Heroes.

There are also Matthew Morrison0, as the professor who tries to resurrect the Glee club back to its glory days, Jane Lynch , who is the merciless coach of the cheer leading squad and an Asian Jenna Ushokowitz , who seems to have a stuttering problem, and you have a recipe of happy summer terebi. Let's not forget Jayma Mays! There's a wide range of characters so there will sure be one you like the most or identify with the most. Almost always those two are the same. Unless you love to hate yourself.

I found that there is some sort of honest humor to the show. A very optimistic, or maybe self centered, Rachel asks Morrisono's character if he really thinks someone on a wheelchair will get a lead role in a musical named "sit down, you're rocking the boat" in front of the wheelchair boy. Normally I would wait for the teacher character to let Rachel know she's out of line or for the wheelchair boy to tell her that she doesn't know what it feels to be unable to dance. Instead he tells her that she should see the irony that enhances the musical. What irony?

You should watch the pilot. It did get a little corny for few minutes towards the end. I don't know anything about high school but if felt real... which might mean that it's not like high school. This has potential! The only issue I might have is if they will start having more than two FULL songs/performances each episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment